32) After Christ, his followers wrote down the Gospel, After
Muhammed (pbuh) his followers wrote down the Qur’an : is there
any difference between these two events?
There exists vast differences. They can be enumerated as
1. Although the Bible does indicate that Jesus preached ‘the
Gospel’ (Mark 1:14, 15, 8:35, 14:9, 10:29, Mathew 4:23), there is no
evidence, whatsoever, to the effect that ‘the Gospel’ was written down
in any form during his own time. As for the Qur’an, it was recorded
during the time of Muhammed () itself, and that too, in numerous
2. ‘The Gospel’ which Jesus had preached was not memorized,
verse by verse, by any amongst his contemporaries. There were,
however, hundreds of followers who had memorized the entire Qur’an
3. It was not the Gospel preached by Jesus that was written
down by Mathew, Mark, Luke or John. Theirs was but an account of
all that they had come to know of the life of Jesus (Luke 1:1-4). The
Qur’an, on the other hand, is not the biography of Muhammad (); it
is the revealed scripture that was provided to him by the Lord Creator.
4. The compilation of the Qur’an had taken place with a rigour
and diligence which the Caliph, as the representative of the people,
had commanded. Just how strict the standards of compilation were is
to be clearly seen in the words of Zaid bin Thabit who had been
entrusted with the duty : “It would have been easier for me if Abu
Bakr had asked me to move a mountain from its place.” As for the
Gospels, they are but books that have been written according to the
whims and fancies of each writer. As for their objective, it was but to
introduce the figure of Jesus to the society in which they lived.
(Raymond E. Brown, Responses to 101 Questions on the Bible,
5. The Gospel came to be written at least five decades after
Jesus. The compilation of the Qur’an, on the other hand, was initiated
in the twelfth year of the Hijra – two years after the death of the
6. It was not the disciples of Jesus who wrote the Gospels. Butit was the disciples of Muhammad () who had compiled the Qur’an.
7. The Gospels were based only on the hearsay accounts about
Jesus. On the other hand, the compilation of the Qur’an was based on
the scrolls which were written the under instruction and supervision of
the Prophet and on the versions of hundreds of followers who had
directly heard and memorized the Qur’an from the Prophet himself.